Everything you need to become a civil celebrant
Our Successful Civil Celebrant course is suitable for beginners and will give you the important knowledge and critical skills needed to plan celebrations and ceremonies on behalf of clients.
You will learn how to work with clients and create and carry out a range of events, from weddings, renewal of vows and naming ceremonies, to civil partnerships, memorials and funeral services. You will explore the role in depth, the history and origins of Civil Celebrancy and how it has grown.
The successful Civil Celebrant works alongside their clients at the happiest and more difficult times of their lives. This course will allow you to turn your passion for helping people mark special and important occasions into a rewarding profession.
- Become a successful Civil Celebrant and get the most from your passion for planning civil celebrations and ceremonies.
- Learn everything you need to know to create and carry out services marking important events in your clients’ lives, from quality course materials created by experts.
- Receive excellent tutor support – to help you achieve your goals.
- Successful learners are awarded the Regent Academy Diploma and qualify for our City & Guilds Successful Civil Celebrant Certificate*.
- No previous experience or knowledge are required to enrol on this course.
How the course works
Your first course materials will be sent to you when you enrol so you can start as soon as you want. You can then enjoy your course at your own pace, studying when it suits you and where it’s most comfortable. This gives you the freedom to learn around your existing job, family or other commitments or location (including overseas).
Course materials have been developed by experts and are clear and straightforward so your studying is easy and enjoyable.
All coursework assignments are included within your course. As you complete each assignment, simply send it to your tutor who will mark and return it along with valuable constructive feedback to help progress your skills further. (You can also contact your tutor or the support team for help at any point during your studies.) The remaining course materials will be sent to you as each assignment is completed.
Where required, you will demonstrate your learning by submitting recorded practical sessions (for example, a video of your session recorded on mobile phone or tablet) to show your competence in interviewing clients and delivering ceremonies and services in a professional, appropriate manner.
After successfully completing all your assignments, you will be awarded the Regent Academy Diploma and qualify to be awarded our City & Guilds Successful Civil Celebrant Certificate*.
We are proud of our friendly, caring ethos and aim to do all we can to help you succeed.
Our tutors are all experienced, qualified and passionate about sharing their love of their subject. You can phone or email your tutor throughout the course – to ask questions, for advice, encouragement or to draw on their wealth of knowledge.
You can also receive help from our student support team from Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
What you will learn
Unit 1 - Understanding Professional Civil Celebrancy in the UK
- The Beginnings of Civil Celebrancy as a Profession
- The Development of Civil Celebrancy in the UK
- Celebratory Civil Celebrants and Civil Funeral Celebrants
- The Role and Attributes of a Celebratory Civil Celebrant
- The Responsibilities of a Celebrant
Unit 2 - Health and Safety Considerations for Civil Celebrants
- Personal Risks Involved In Visiting Clients At Home
- Procedure for Visiting Clients in Their Homes
- Ceremonies in a Domestic Setting
- Ceremonies at an Indoor (Internal) Venue
- Ceremonies at an Outdoor (External) Venue
- Funeral Ceremonies
Unit 3 - Valuing Equality and Diversity
- Aspects of Equality
- Legislation Relating to the Issues of Equality and Diversity
- Organisational Bodies Working on Equality Issues
- Aspects of Diversity
- The Social Benefits of Diversity
- The Difference between Discrimination and Prejudice
- Direct and Indirect Discrimination
- Putting Equality into Practice
Unit 4 - Understanding Celebratory Civil Ceremonies in the UK
- The Historical Background of the Different Types of Civil Celebration
- The Development of the Registry Office System
- The Impact of Social Changes on Naming and Couples’ Ceremonies
- The Cultural Role of Civil Celebratory Services
- Statutory and Non-statutory Ceremonies
- The Limitations of Non-statutory Ceremonies
- The Advantages of Non-statutory Ceremonies
Unit 5 - Planning and Delivering Celebratory Civil Ceremonies in the UK
- Naming Ceremonies
- Civil Partnerships
- Renewal of Vows
- Commitment Ceremonies
- Conducting Planning Interviews
- Interview Techniques
- Options for Civil Ceremony Choices
- Enhancing a Ceremony
- Maintaining a Professional Manner as a Celebrant
- Strategies for Time Management
- Working within the Limitations of a Venue
Unit 6 - Understanding the UK Funeral Industry
- Key Organisations in the Funeral Industry
- Key Staff within the Funeral Industry
- Protocols within the UK Funeral Industry
- The Characteristics of a Civil Funeral
- The Definitions of Some Specific Terms Used in the Funeral Industry
- The Process of Registering a Death
- Some Useful Resources to Facilitate Understanding of the Funeral Industry
Unit 7 - Working with the Bereaved
- The Cycle of Grief
- How Does Grief Impact on the Work of the Celebrant?
- Appropriate Language and Tone When Dealing with the Bereaved
- Arranging an Interview with a Bereaved Person or Family
- How to Conduct the Planning Interview
- Using Visual Aids to Demonstrate Funeral Ceremony Options
- Appropriate Questioning Techniques
Unit 8 - Creating and Conducting a Civil Funeral Service
- Creating a Script
- Converting the Delivery Script to a Presentation Script
- Creating a Delivery Script for a Funeral
- The Range of Funeral Service Options
- Creating a Personalised Tribute (Eulogy)
- Creating Tributes in Response to Unusual Circumstances
- Components of a Typical Civil Funeral Service
- Time Management
- Delivering a Funeral Service in a Professional Manner
You are free to study when it suits you and your progress may therefore depend upon how much time you would like to commit to study. Learners can expect this course to take around 180 hours to complete*.
* Timescales are approximate and depend upon application and motivation.
Certification and Accredited Programme
Regent Academy Diploma
You will receive the Regent Academy Diploma when you successfully complete this course. With Regent Academy’s reputation this can be a highly sought-after addition to your CV and alongside your portfolio of coursework, powerfully showcasing your skills to prospective employers or potential clients.
City & Guilds accredited programme
You will also qualify to be awarded our City & Guilds Successful Civil Celebrant Certificate* when you successfully complete this course.
You can add this to your CV to demonstrate to prospective employers and potential clients that you have recognised skills.
To receive your certificate, simply call us to register*. You do not need to complete any more assignments or coursework.
Once you have successfully completed this course, you can become a practising Civil Celebrant and could start a career creating and delivering personalised civil ceremonies on behalf of your clients, such as:
- Renewal of Vows
- Civil Partnerships
- Commitment Ceremonies
- Naming Ceremonies
- Funeral Services
- Memorial Services
For the marriage to be legally binding, your clients will need to need to be legally married at a registry office (usually at a fraction of the cost for a registrant to attend a venue). Using a wedding celebrant gives your client the flexibility to have the service they want without the usual restrictions of a more traditional ceremony.
You do not need any previous knowledge or experience to enrol on this course.
Enrol now from £55
There are 3 ways you can enrol
- Pay the total course fee of £495* in one sum and also receive a special gift from our selection - free.
- Pay a deposit of just £55*, followed by 10 instalments of £44
- Pay a deposit of just £55*, followed by 24 instalments of £18.34** using Interest Free Credit (exclusively available by calling us on 01409 220 799)